were developed as the result of twenty years of laboratory experience and involved the systematic elimination of the imperfections found in other peristaltic pumps on the market.
The result is a practical, precise and reliable peristaltic pump, which is the most compact in its class:
The special mechanics of LAMBDA peristaltic pumps has been developed because no pump could be used for continuous fermentation lasting up to eight weeks.
The most frequent problems of traditional peristaltic pumps are:
During the development of the new LAMBDA peristaltic pump mechanics all aspects of existing peristaltic pumps have been analyzed and finally an efficient solution has been found.
The use of the electronic flow integrator LAMBDA INTEGRATOR together with the LAMBDA peristaltic pumps allows a simple but precise integration of the amount of liquid, which has been transported by the pump.
The electric impulses, which move the motor, are registered and transformed into a direct current. The voltage can be measured or recorded by common recorders or voltmeters. The RS 485 or RS 232 interface allows the connection to a PC.
In processes where the pump is controlled e.g. by a pH-stat during a fermentation (to keep the pH of the medium constant), it is frequently important to know when and how much acid or base were added. This data yields important information about the process, its kinetics and time of completion..
The integrator can also be used for measuring enzyme activity (e.g. esterases, amidases, acylases, lipases, proteases, lactamases and other enzymes).
The pump-flow integrator is embedded electronically within LAMBDA peristaltic pumps and can be accessed only by the software. The integrator of the LAMBDA peristaltic pumps allows new and unusual applications like gradient making, counter flow elution, liquid chromatography, electronic burette, etc.
33. Feed, loop, bleed and harvest peristaltic pumps PRECIFLOW for continuous cultivation of extreme halophiles in customized pilot scale bioreactor Mahler, Nicole, Sebastian Tschirren, Stefan Pflügl, and Christoph Herwig. "Optimized bioreactor setup for scale-up studies of extreme halophilic cultures." Biochemical Engineering Journal 130 (2018): 39-46.TU Wien, Institute for Chemical, Environmental and Bioscience Engineering, Austria; Kompetenzzentrum Holz GmbH, Austria. Keywords: Continuous bioprocessing; Bubble column; Cell retention; Halophiles; Salt recycling; Haloferax mediterranei
32. Turbidostat composed of two PRECIFLOW peristaltic pumps with RS-232 interface for automated optogenetic regulation of protein production in liquid Escherichia coli cultures Milias-Argeitis, Andreas, Marc Rullan, Stephanie K. Aoki, Peter Buchmann, and Mustafa Khammash. "Automated optogenetic feedback control for precise and robust regulation of gene expression and cell growth." Nature Communications 7 (2016).ETH Zurich, Switzerland Keywords: Expression system; Industrial microbiology; Optogenetics; superfolder green fluorescent protein (sfGFP)
31. Adaptive feeding strategy with real time signal (Lucullus) controlled feed rate of the PRECIFLOW pump in fed-batch process Konakovsky, Viktor, Christoph Clemens, Markus Michael Müller, Jan Bechmann, Martina Berger, Stefan Schlatter, and Christoph Herwig. "Metabolic Control in Mammalian Fed-Batch Cell Cultures for Reduced Lactic Acid Accumulation and Improved Process Robustness." Bioengineering 3, no. 1 (2016): 5.Vienna University of Technology, Austria; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH & Co. KG, Germany Keywords: CHO cell culture; scale-down; fed batch; automation; Lactic acid control; pH; metabolic control; MVDA; uncertainty; online analyser
30. Inflow of M. marburgensis chemostat culture DoE screening was controlled gravimetrically by designated PRECIFLOW pump set-point Bernacchi, Sébastien, Simon Rittmann, Arne H. Seifert, Alexander Krajete, and Christoph Herwig, Experimental methods for screening parameters influencing the growth to product yield (Y (x/CH4)) of a biological methane production (BMP) process performed with Methanothermobacter marburgensis, AIMS Bioengineering 1, no. 2 (2014): 72-86.Vienna University of Technology and Krajete GmbH, Austria Keywords: Design of Experiments; chemostat; dynamic experiments; bioprocess quantification; carbon balance, biological methanogenesis, bioCH4
29. PRECIFLOW peristaltic pump was used as a feed pump in fed-batch and continuous cultures, to maintain a constant dilution rate (D), of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae Stark, D., D. Zala, T. Münch, B. Sonnleitner, I. W. Marison, and U. Von Stockar, Inhibition aspects of the bioconversion of L-phenylalanine to 2-phenylethanol by Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Enzyme and Microbial Technology 32, no. 2 (2003): 212-223.Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Givaudan Dübendorf Ltd. and Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland Keywords: 2-Phenylethanol; l-Phenylalanine; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Inhibition kinetics; Metabolic uncoupling
28. MULTIFLOW peristaltic pump and a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) column (25 mm x 7.0 mm i.d.) were used to study the suitability of hybrid SiO2/TiO2-NH2 nanoparticles for solid phase extraction of lead, copper, and zinc from different food and water samples Rajabi, Maryam, Behruz Barfi, Alireza Asghari, Farhood Najafi, and Reza Aran. Hybrid amine-functionalized titania/silica nanoparticles for solid-phase extraction of lead, copper, and zinc from food and water samples: kinetics and Equilibrium studies. Food Analytical Methods (2014): 1-10.Semnan University, Iran; Institute for Color Science and Technology, Iran. Keywords: Hybrid amine-functionalized titania/silica nanoparticles, Food, Water, Solid-phase extraction, Kinetic, Thermodynamic
27. LAMBDA MULTIFLOW peristaltic pump used to examine the influence of eluent flow rate (1.0– 6.0 mL/min) in highly selective solid phase extraction Rajabi, Maryam, Bahram Mohammadi, Alireza Asghari, Behruz Barfi, and Mahdi Behzad. Nano-alumina coated with SDS and modified with salicylaldehyde-5-sulfonate for extraction of heavy metals and their determination by anodic stripping voltammetry. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 20, no. 5 (2014): 3737-3743. Semnan University, Iran. Keywords: Solid phase extraction; Nano-alumina; Sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS); Sodium salicylaldehyde-5-sulfonate (SAS); Differential pulse anodic stripping voltammetry
26. Pompe péristaltique LAMBDA PRECIFLOW utilisée comme pompe d'alimentation/feed (glycerol) pour la fermentation de E. coli ainsi que pour la fabrication de billes de chitine Lavallaz, Grégoire, Dr Crelier Simon. Purification de GFP avec et sans marqueur d'affinité. Diploma thesis, HES-SO Valais, 2010. HES-SO Valais, Sion Keywords: protéines fluorescentes; séparation et purification des protéines et peptides (fluorescent proteins; separation and purification of proteins and peptides)
25. LAMBDA HIFLOW peristaltic pump with Tygon R-3603 tubing used to pump the porewater in each chamber to the surface and sampled under a high-flow Ar stream Wang, Yuheng, Manon Frutschi, Elena Suvorova, Vannapha Phrommavanh, Michael Descostes, Alfatih AA Osman, Gerhard Geipel, and Rizlan Bernier-Latmani. Mobile uranium (IV)-bearing colloids in a mining-impacted wetland. Nature communications, 4:2942, (2013). École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland; AREVA—Business Group Mines, France; Helmholtz Center Dresden Rossendorf (HZDR), Germany.
24. Two PRECIFLOW peristaltic pumps were used to feed the medium into the reactor and withdrew the perfusate from the bottom of the inside of the spin–filter to study the animal cell retention Vallez-Chetreanu, Florentina. Characterization of the mechanism of action of spin-filters for animal cell perfusion cultures. PhD diss. NO 3488, ÉCOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FÉDÉRALE DE LAUSANNE, 2006. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland. Keywords: Perfusion culture, CHO animal cell, separation, spin–filter, retention, fouling, response surface methodology, filter vibration, piezoelectric.
23. MULTIFLOW peristaltic pump was used to evaluate the extraction of lead(II), chromium(III) and copper(II) on a novel adsorbent Behruz Barfi & Maryam Rajabi & Mahboubeh Morshedi Zadeh & Mehrorang Ghaedi & Masoud Salavati-Niasari &, Extraction of ultra-traces of lead, chromium and copper using ruthenium nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon and modified with N,N-bis-(α-methylsalicylidene)-2, 2-dimethylpropane-1,3-diamine, Microchimica Acta, online: 1436-5073. Semnan University, Iran; Yasouj University, Iran; Kashan University, Iran and Ilam University, Iran. Keywords: Ruthenium nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon; N,N-bis-(α-methylsalicylidene)-2,2-dimethylpropane-1,3-diamine; Metals; Plasma; Food; Water
22. Digital PRECIFLOW peristaltic pumps were used as feed pump, bleed pump and cell-free harvest pump to maximize the productivity of extreme halophilic archaeon in a bioreactor equipped with an external cell retention system Bettina Lorantfy, Paul Ruschitzka, Christoph Herwig, Investigation of physiological limits and conditions for robustbioprocessing of an extreme halophilic archaeon using externalcell retention system, Biochemical Engineering Journal 90 (2014) 140–148.Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Austria. Keywords: Halophilic Archaea, Microfiltration for cell retention, Integrated processing, Bioprocess design, Bioprocess monitoring, Ultrafiltration
21. Feed flow rate was kept constant by controlling the speed of the PRECIFLOW peristaltic pump in continuous culture of Methanothermobacter marburgensis A.H. Seifert, S. Rittmann, C. Herwig, Analysis of process related factors to increase volumetric productivity and quality of biomethane with Methanothermobacter marburgensis, Applied Energy 132 (2014) 155–162Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Austria. Keywords: Archaea, Biological methanogenesis, Continuous culture, Gas/liquid mass transfer, CO2, H2, CH4, quantification
20. Flexible polyethylene tube for PRECIFLOW feed pump used in the optimal growth of algae Legendre, A and Desmazieres, N. 2011. Device for Cultivating Algae and/or Microorganisms for Treating an Effluent, and Biological Frontage. United States Patent Application 20110318819. Paris Keywords: Organohalide respiration, Microbial reductive dechlorination, PCE, Acidification, pH buffer, Silicate minerals, bioremediation
19. The inﬂuent medium was pumped using PRECIFLOW pumps to the columns containing Dehalococcoides for PCE bioremediation Elsa Lacroix, Alessandro Brovelli, Julien Maillard, Emmanuelle Rohrbach-Brandt, D.A. Barry, Christof Holliger, Use of silicate minerals for long-term pH control during reductive dechlorination of high tetrachloroethene concentrations in continuous flow-through columns, Science of The Total Environment, Volumes 482–483, 1 June 2014, Pages 23–35 Laboratory for Environmental Biotechnology, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland Keywords: Organohalide respiration, Microbial reductive dechlorination, PCE, Acidification, pH buffer, Silicate minerals, bioremediation
18. PRECIFLOW pump continuously supplied medium with controlled set-points for designated medium dilution rates of Methanothermobacter marburgensis grown in continuous cultures S. Rittmann, A. Seifert, C. Herwig, Quantitative analysis of media dilution rate effects on Methanothermobacter marburgensis grown in continuous culture on H22 and CO2. Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 36, January 2012, Pages 293–301 Technische Universität Wien, Institut für Verfahrenstechnik, Umwelttechnik und Technische Biowissenschaften, Austria. Keywords: Methanogenesis, Methanothermobacter marburgensis, Dynamic experiment, Continuous culture, Liquid dilution rate
17. PRECIFLOW Peristaltic Pump was used to maintain constant pH for the accurate quantitative determination of net proton production or consumption in chemostat cultures of Candida utilis CASTRILLO, I. DE MIGUEL AND U. 0. UGALDE, Proton Production and Consumption Pathways in Yeast Metabolism. A Chemostat Culture Analysis, YEAST VOL. 11: 1353-1365 (1995) Unit of Biochemistry, Department of Applied Chemistry, University of the Basque Country, Spain Keywords: yeast; nitrogen pathway; chemostat culture; proton production; pH; metabolic model; control
16. Injection of different samples using the Lambda MULTIFLOW peristaltic pumps Stjernlöf, A. 2007. Portable capillary electrophoresis system with LED-absorbance photometric and LED-induced fluorescence detection. Karlstad University, Sweden; Dublin City University, Ireland Keywords: Capillary electrophoresis (CE), LED‐absorbance photometric detector (LED‐AP), LED‐induced fluorescence (LED‐IF) detector, limit of detection (LOD)
15. Ensure column saturation with upward flow by MULTIFLOW pumps Maya, C. C., Younga, L., Worsfolda, P. J., Heathb,S., Bryanb, N. D. and Keith-Roacha. The effect of EDTA on the groundwater transport of thorium through sand. Water Research, Volume 46, Issue 15, 1 October 2012, Pages 4870 Biogeochemistry Research Centre, Plymouth University, UK; The Centre for Radiochemistry Research, University of Manchester, UK; Kemakta Konsult, Stockholm, Sweden. Keywords: Complexing agent, Complexation, Colloid, Migration, Modelling, Speciation
14. Sample additions into the silica microbeads packed optically transparent silica capillary were performed using an RS485 LAMBDA Peristaltic Pump at a flow rate of 0.5 ml/ hour Silvia Scarmagnani, Zarah Walsh, Fernando Benito Lopez, Conor Slater, Mirek Macka, Brett Paull, and Dermot Diamond, Photoswitchable Stationary Phase Based on Packed Spiropyran Functionalized Silica Microbeads, e-J. Surf. Sci. Nanotech. Vol. 7 (2009) 649-652 National Center for Sensor Research, School of Chemical Sciences, Dublin City University, Ireland Keywords: Photoswitchable microspheres; Monolithic frit; Spiropyrans; Stationary phase; Metal ions
13. LAMBDA MULTIFLOW pumped the simulated waste water containing dissolved dye through the reactor with the immobilized TiO2 to study the degradation of textile dyes Jan Šíma, Pavel Hasal, Photocatalytic Degradation of Textile Dyes in aTiO2/UV System, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 2013, 32, 79-84. Department of Chemical Engineering, Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague, Czech Republic Keywords: TiO2 immobilization, decolorization, wastewater remediation, polyacrylamide (PA), UV, polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), photodegradation, photoreactor
12. pH was maintained at 3.5 (±0.01) by LAMBDA PRECIFLOW Peristaltic Pump in whey chemostat culture Juan I. Castrillo, Unai O. Ugalde, Patterns of energy metabolism and growth kinetics of Kluyveromyces marxianus in whey chemostat culture, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, November 1993, Volume 40, Issue 2-3, pp 386-393. Unit of Biochemistry, Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of the Basque Country, Spain Keywords: Biomass, whey, chemostat culture, Kluyveromyces marxianus, aerobic
11. Programmable pump MULTIFLOW used as an automatic control pump to control oxygen consumption and temperature by feeding Oxygen and Temperature Control during the Cultivation of Microorganisms using Substrate Feeding, Engineering in Life Sciences, 2007, Volume 7, Issue 3, pages 247–252. “Biotehniskais centrs”, JSC, Latvia; Institute of Chemical Technology Prague, Czech Republic; Latvian State Institute of Wood Chemistry, Latvia. Keywords: Bacteria; Bioreactors; Fermentation; Process control; substrate feeding; temperature control; oxygen consumption
10. pH kept at 4 by the controlled addition of acid or base using PRECIFLOW Peristaltic pump to estimate the biomass production by pH control analysis A Vicente, J I Castrillo, J A Teixeira, U Ugalde, On-line estimation of biomass through pH control analysis in aerobic yeast fermentation systems, Biotechnol Bioeng. 1998 May 20; 58(4):445-50. Departamento de Engenharia Biológica, Universidade do Minho, Portugal and Unidad de Bioquı´mica, Departamento de Quı´mica Aplicada, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad del País Vasco, Spain Keywords: on-line control; pH control; growth monitoring; proton titration; yeast; aerobic fermentation; chemostat
9. PRECIFLOW Peristaltic Pump was used as a feed pump for the production of 2-phenylethanol (PEA) by in situ product removal (ISPR) method D. Stark, H. Kornmann, T. Munch, B. Sonnleitner, I. W. Marison, U. von Stockar, Novel Type of In Situ Extraction: Use of Solvent Containing Microcapsules for the Bioconversion of 2-Phenylethanol from L-Phenylalanine by Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Biotechnol Bioeng. 2003 Aug 20; 83(4):376-85. Laboratory of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Switzerland. Keywords: in-situ product recovery, microencapsulation of solvent, 2-phenylethanol, extractive fermentation, mass transfer, fermenter, fed-batch culture
8. LAMBDA MULTIFLOW Peristaltic Pump used to study the effect of ﬂow rate on the analytes retention in range of 1.0 - 6.0 mL/min and eluent ﬂow rate from 0.5 to 2.0 mL/min Alireza Asghari, Bahram Mohammadi, Nano-alumina coated with sodium dodecyl sulfate and modified with 4-(2-Pyridylazo) resorcinol for extraction of heavy metals in different matrixes, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Volume 20, Issue 3, 25 May 2014, Pages 824-829 Department of Chemistry, Semnan University, Iran. Keywords: Nano-alumina; 4-(2-Pyridylazo) resorcinol; Sodium dodecyl sulfate; Inductively coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometry; Solid phase extraction
7. PRECIFLOW Peristaltic Pump was used to supply feed medium into the bioreactor and the feed flow rate was kept constant by controlling the pump speed to get a medium dilution rate ( D ) of 0.05 per hour (h-1) A.H. Seifert, S. Rittmann, S. Bernacchi, C. Herwig, Method for assessing the impact of emission gasses on physiology and productivity in biological methanogenesis, Bioresource Technology, Volume 136, May 2013, Pages 747–751 Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Research Area Biochemical Engineering, Austria. Keywords: Biomethane production, Industrial and biogenic waste gas, Biological methanogenesis, Bioreactor, Thermophilic culture, Methanothermobacter marburgensis, fermentation, anaerobic
6. LAMBDA Peristaltic pump was used to induce the milk flow into the Teflon chamber with stainless steel chips (at flow rate of 340 mL/h and 980 mL/h) to study Staphylococcus epidermidis adherence Zoran Jaglic, Dana Cervinkova, Elleni Michu, Martina Holasova, Petr Roubal, Hana Vlkova, Vladimir Babak, Jarmila Schlegelova, Effect of milk temperature and flow on the adherence of Staphylococcus epidermidis to stainless steel in amounts capable of biofilm formation, Dairy Sci. & Technol. (2011) 91:361–372 Veterinary Research Institute and MILCOM a.s., Dairy Research Institute, Czech Republic Keywords: Food safety, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Hygiene, Dairy, biofilm, adherence
5. Feed Pump: Medium was continuously supplied to the bioreactor by PRECIFLOW Peristaltic pump with controlled flow to obtain the desired dilution rate (D) Ester Martinez-Porqueras, Patrick Wechselberger, Christoph Herwig, Effect of medium composition on biohydrogen production by the extreme thermophilic bacterium Caldicellulosiruptor saccharolyticus, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 38, Issue 27, 10 September 2013, Pages 11756–11764 Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Research Area Biochemical Engineering, Austria Keywords: Caldicellulosiruptor saccharolyticus, Defined medium, Complex medium, Xylose, Double nutrient limitation, Hydrogen productivity, batch mode
4. Two computer-controlled programmable HIFLOW Peristaltic Pumps were used for gradient generation for the purification of isolated human islets Andrew Friberg, Magnus Stahle, Olle Korsgren, Daniel Brandhorst, Human islet purification utilizing a semi-closed automated pump system, Cell Transplant, 2008;17(12):1305-13. University Hospital, Department of Oncology, Radiology & Clinical Immunology, Uppsala, Sweden. Keywords: Human islet isolation; Islet purification; Density gradient purification; Closed system
3. Feed pump: In a continuous mode of culture, the medium was supplied by PRECIFLOW peristaltic pump operated on controlled set-points for designated dilution rates (D). Ester Martinez-Porqueras, Simon Rittmann, Christoph Herwig, Analysis of H2 to CO2 yield and physiological key parameters of Enterobacter aerogenes and Caldicellulosiruptor saccharolyticus, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38 (2013) 10245 to 10251. Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Austria. Keywords: Biohydrogen, Biofuel, batch, repetitive batch, Chemostat culture, anaerobic, Glucose, Xylose, Hydrogen productivity, Hydrogen to carbon dioxide yield, Hydrogen to substrate yield, volumetric hydrogen evolution rate (HER), specific hydrogen evolution rate (qH2)
2. Feed and harvest pump: Medium was continuously fed into the reactor and permeate was continuously withdrawn from inside the spin-filter using two LAMBDA PRECIFLOW peristaltic pumps in an animal cell perfusion culture experiment F. Vallez-Chetreanu, L.G. Fraisse Ferreira, R. Rabe, U. von Stockar, I.W. Marison, An on-line method for the reduction of fouling of spin-filters for animal cell perfusion cultures, Journal of Biotechnology 130 (2007) 265–273 Ecole Polytechnique F´ed´erale de Lausanne (EPFL), Laboratory of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Switzerland and Dublin City University, School of Biotechnology, Ireland Keywords: Animal cell; Perfusion culture; Spin-filter; Fouling; Vibration; Piezo-electric
1. Feed pump: Concentrated nutrient solutions was fed by LAMBDA Peristaltic Pump for the production of Erythromycin from the strain Saccharopolyspora erythraea in fed-batch Potvin, Jean; Peringer, Paul: Ammonium regulation in Saccharopolyspora erythraea Part II Regulatory effects under different nutritional conditions. Biotechnology Letters. 1994, 16(1): 69-74 Zeneca Bio Products, Canada Keywords: erythromycin, Saccharopolyspora erythraea, antibiotic, fermentation, growth rate, feeding, fed-batch
What is the flow range?Depending on the pump you select, our pumps offer a range of flow rates from 0.2 µl/min to 60,000 ml/hour.
Is the flow reversible?
Yes. The desired flow could achieved either by clock-wise or anticlock-wise rotation.
Could you please provide me information about the precision of dosing of a Lambda peristaltic pump? Accuracy of the pumps is about ±1% and the reproducibility is ±0.2% (electronics). Speed of rotation of the pump motor is regulated with a precision of quartz watch, which in-turn assures a high precision of the flow rate.
How would I calibrate the flow rate in peristaltic pumps?The calibration of the pump flow rate with speed can be done to know the amount of the liquid pumped. It could be done in two ways: volumetric calibration of the peristaltic pump flow and pump flow calibration by weight. A short video of peristaltic pump flow calibration can be found at http://lambda.aws.omega.cz/peristaltic-pumps/#video.
Can I get multi-channel pumps?We do not manufacture multi-channel pumps. Because with the multi-channel pumps it is not possible to achieve the precise and reproducible flow rates with only one pump motor. For the high precision of flow rate, it is not advisable to use the multi-channel pumps.If one channel gets blocked then your whole project will get spoiled totally. Instead, we recommend having individual pumps.
Why do I need to use LAMBDA individual pumps over multi-channel pump?It has more advantages over the multi-channel pumps. The most important thing to take into account is the precise, reproducible and steady flow rate.If one channel gets blocked then your whole project will get spoiled totally.The bench space required for the needed channel equivalent to individual LAMBDA Pumps is same as that of a single multi-channel pump, because of the compact structure of the LAMBDA Pumps. The individual pumps can be used in other projects too.
Do you have pumps on stock?Yes, we have the pumps in stock. We maintain a large stock of instruments, in order to be able to quickly set them up in the desired configuration and to dispatch them in shortest possible time, within few days!